It’s 11pm on a Monday night and I felt compelled to write this, after sitting at my computer for most of the day I got that dreadful feeling, the one that makes me feel depressed and anxious.
Every day since I can remember, I’ve asked myself; “what makes me happy?” And I could never find the true answer, until now.
As I sit here writing this, Edison (my cat) is sitting on the end table staring at my cup of coffee. He secretly is watching me to see if I’ve caught onto his scheme. Out of the corner of my eye I can see him slowly start to lower his face into my coffee cup.
His face is now stuffed into my cup, trying to get a taste of the coffee. Usually, I’d be annoyed because my last few attempts to get him to stop failed miraculously. But sitting down here alone just watching a cat attempt to get a sip of coffee brings a little bit of happiness to me. Why?
That cat, whether I’ve had a bad day or not, will always try to reach for my coffee cup for a sip if the cup is there. He doesn’t give a shit what happened to him a day ago or what will happen to him two days from now. He’s just focused on me (the protector of the cup) and the coffee. He’s focused on the right now.
My intention for this wasn’t to talk about my cat, but sometimes I find it good to sit down and just watch the things around you.
- Watch people come and go from the shop or restaurant you’re sitting in, see how they behave and interact.
- Experience things other than your phone when you get that twitch to check it while waiting for your food or while you’re in line.
- Go for a walk in your nearest park, find a bench, shut off your phone and just listen and experience all that’s happening around you.
- Sit under the stars on a clear night and look up. What do you see?
- Take a moment to disconnect from the virtual world, and reconnect with the physical.
So what makes me happy?
Life makes me happy. The fact that I can type on a screen and convey my thoughts makes me happy. That little girl last week at the grocery store that danced in front of me while singing a song she made up makes me happy. The cup of coffee that Edison tried to get a drink of, makes me happy.
So my advice to you, when you’re searching for happiness, just watch, listen and be the cat trying to get that sip of coffee.
“Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” -Omar Khayyam